Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Voice

I was diagnosed with a vocal disorder called spasmodic dysphonia around five years ago. It has made a dramatic difference in my life. 

Never realized the importance of communication until this time. I can't place drive-through food orders, talk to anyone behind a counter, or use the phone to visit with friends and family, or to call for service on anything. I try instead to go to websites with emails to request assistance. I withdraw from conversations and from groups of people. My young friend Jade taught me facebook and I have truly enjoyed that form of communication.

This disorder is embarrassing and awkward. People for the most part are patient and understanding. When they are not, I try harder to speak and I have even more difficulty. 

Earlier this year, a good friend said they watched ABC's 20/20 and saw a woman with my disorder and a doctor restored her voice. We looked it up on the internet and watched it... I began crying. I have researched and saved up and now have an appointment with that doctor at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland Ohio on November 22, 2011.

If I can add a video to this Blog you can listen to my voice now. Not sure how to do that though. 

I am driving to Dallas DFW this Sunday morning and flying to Cleveland. I am excited and nervous. If my voice is not restored, I can live with this, but I would like to have "me" back. I miss talking with my son and I want to talk to my new grandbaby boy. 

Many prayers have been sent up on my behalf on my facebook and my cat Platelicker's facebook page. I love seeing prayers answered and I want to be one of the answered prayers.  


So here I go about to begin anew. And yes... I shall again dance everyday and blush...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment